- 1 beef Shoulder Roast Boneless (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound small red-skinned potatoes, cut in half, or into quarters if large
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-1/2 x 1/2- inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into 2-1/2 x 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small leek, (white and pale green parts only), cut in half lengthwise then crosswise into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons seasoned pepper blend or garlic-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Combine seasoning ingredients; press evenly onto all surfaces beef roast. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown roast on all sides. Pour off drippings and season beef with salt.
- Add broth to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 hours. Add vegetables; continue cooking, covered, 30 to 45 minutes or until roast and vegetables are fork-tender.
- Remove roast and vegetables; keep warm. Strain cooking liquid; skim fat, if necessary. Measure 2 cups cooking liquid (Add beef broth or water to cooking liquid to yield 2 cups, if necessary.); return to stockpot. Combine water and cornstarch; stir into cooking liquid. Bring to boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
- Carve roast into thin slices. Season with salt, as desired. Serve with vegetables and gravy.